Seed is the first South West based Creative People and Places (CPP) – an Arts Council Funded initiative all about allowing more people to choose, create and take part in arts and cultural activity, and thus creates an exciting opportunity within Sedgemoor’s towns and parishes. We believe that everybody has the right and ability to be creative, and we are here to help make that happen across Sedgemoor.
Seed has been created by a consortium of five local organisations led by Homes in Sedgemoor. With Arts Council’s commitment in place for the first four years, our ten-year vision is to ensure that everyone living and working in Sedgemoor has a chance to experience more creative arts and culture. We know that within our communities there is a wealth of knowledge, skills and creativity, some of which remains hidden or undervalued. We want to tap into this rich resource and especially want to meet and work with people who might not otherwise have had the chance to explore their creative ideas and passions. As the programme grows, we want to encourage and enable more and different people to take a lead in commissioning creative activities for the future.
So far, we have programmed Creative Lives Under Lockdown, a series of five local artist led micro-commissions to connect creatively with the community during lockdown:
- Creative Isolation: Weekly art and craft sessions streamed via the Facebook page. 150 craft kits were assembled and distributed to the local areas via Seed Consortium members.
- Joyful Noises: A digital record of the community celebrations for the NHS which took place on Thursday evenings throughout lockdown
- Let’s Dance: A virtual dance and movement project for all ages with dance activities and workshops.
- Moments of Stillness: A project to encourage people to capture the stillness of a moment during their day, encouraging mindfulness and a connection with nature
- Sketchbooks Unlocked: A sketchbook project linking up with The Arts Quarter’s Lockdown Arts project, providing people with daily prompts for creativity.
We have led two Social Arts practice and Me CPD sessions for local arts practitioners, and two virtual Creative Accelerator Highbridge consultation sessions with members of the Highbridge community. These sessions were a fantastic opportunity to meet some of the residents of Sedgemoor, and hear all about the creative activities they would love to see in their area.
We are currently recruiting Sowers and Growers from across Sedgemoor to help spread the word and engage the community in cultural activities.
Whether you are into hip hop or knit and natter, carnival or computer games, circus arts or book clubs, dancing or body art, church choirs or wassail, whatever your passion, Seed Sedgemoor CPP programme is for you! Sign up for our regular e-bulletin using the form below to be the first to hear about what is on offer.
Seed is a Consortium of Community Organisations in Sedgemoor comprising: Bridgwater Senior Citizens Forum, Bridgwater Town Council, Community Council for Somerset Homes in Sedgemoor, Somerset Film.
Funded + supported by Arts Council England
Copyright Seed – All rights reserved